Saturday, October 24, 2009

Terror, Guts, and a bit of wisdom

"You gain strength, courage and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, 'I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along.' You must do the thing you think you cannot do."
-Eleanor Roosevelt

I spoke with a woman last week who has goal to do one thing each day that scares her. At first I laughed because - who would do that?? But I soon realized what a wise goal that is. When we are uncomfortable, we are growing. Instead of just reacting to life, she seeks out these opportunities for growth. Brilliant.

So, with Halloween less than a week away, I have decided to set the same goal. Bring on the terror! Haha. Okay, terror sounds a little over zealous...and masochistic...and I am sure I would set the goal even if Halloween wasn't less than a week away. But you get my point. It is so easy to just sit back and let life happen. I am going to be more willing to get out of my comfort zone and do things that require guts (again with the Halloween lingo! sorry, couldn't resist).

I am sure many of you have already committed to doing this in your own lives. I may very well be the last one to jump on this wagon, but just in case there are others of you out there who hate life's haunted houses, join me...if you dare! Mwa ha ha ha ha.




*for those of you who have not yet witnessed how truly dorky I am, this should bring you "up to speed" pretty quick :) Welcome.

2 comments:

Ashlee said...

Dear Shalon-

I think we could be good good friends you and I :) Love the dorky halloween lingo... and I also love this idea. Moving to a new state has kind of forced me to start doing some scary things... missionary work for one... TRULY scary. I have some pretty embarassing stories of REALLY lame things I've said to people... but hey... I'm doing it right? Thanks for the post..

Gibbons family said...

Finally an update!!! I really need to call you. I hope you're doing good in ND!