Saturday, October 10, 2009

A New Guardian Angel

The world lost an amazing woman this week.
My sweet grandmother
left this life the morning of Saturday, October 3.

My heart is full of gratitude for the goodness she brought to my life and to the lives of each person she knew.

We had a close relationship. As my mother's mother, she was the strongest connection I had to her memory. She was always so open about sharing what my mother would wish in certain situations and was great at keeping her memory alive for me and my brothers and sister.

Grandma didn't sweat the "small stuff"... she celebrated it. She had the ability to find joy in anything - no matter how simple. My mind is filled with memories of days at the park singing on the swings; walks to the hill she would watch us roll down and run back up over and over again; so many Sunday dinners she put so much energy into; phone calls asking what the cutest thing was that Brayden did that day...

When I was a little girl (and I remember this conversation vividly) we made a pact that any time we saw a sunrise or sunset we would think of each other. From that pact until as recent as a few weeks ago, she would end each letter or conversation with "remember the sunrises and sunsets!" This will always be something very special to me, and every time I look at this big North Dakota sky I think of her.

I hope to one day have the purity of heart and the Christlike love for the people around me that Grandma had. She was a true lady ... always concerned with the well-being of others, always thinking of ways to make others happy. I will make an effort to be better at this - in her honor.

For years since the passing of my beautiful Mother I have been lucky to have a personal Guardian Angel watching over me ... Now I have one more.






6 comments:

Matt and Mandy said...

So sorry, our prayers are with you. We miss you guys!

Ashlee said...

I am crying at my work desk right now. Proabably not appropriate but I'm doing it anyway. I love the sunset thing... how neat! She sounded like a wonderful woman. Thanks for sharing.

Brook said...

I too love this Grandma. She took the time to even remember our birthdays even though we weren't her "real" grandkids. I'm glad she's not in pain anymore and with your sweet mother. What a reunion! Know that my prayers and thoughts have been with you and the family. It's hard living far away when times like this bring family together! I hope you guys are doing well!! Lots of LOVE!!

Shalon said...

Thank you for your comments, everyone. I miss her so much but there have been a couple of times that I have felt her so close. Losing people stinks, but those little moments are very special. Having Grandma gone makes me so grateful for the women in my life! I love each of you girls - I consider each of you enormous blessings!

McKay Perkins said...

I liked your Grandma. (She's the one I met right?) I liked what you said about her being a "true lady". I gave a talk yesterday about what it really means to be a man, and what it truly means to be a woman. From what you said your Grandma seemed to have that definition down well. My Grandma died in October. She had the definition down well too. She was a pioneer in our family. She had enough courage to join the church alone and encourage my Grandpa until he joined 42 years later. I miss her too.

Luke&Megz said...

Lonnie I just found your blog! You said it exactly right about Grandma Tingey. What a woman. She was the kindest, most sincere lady. I got the chance to go see her two days before she passed away and the whole time we were in her room Brock was looking at the ceiling and talking away. Grandpa Joe commented that he was talking to all the angels in the room. I'm sure your mom was there to welcome her home. Love and miss ya!!